GE Front Loader DBVH512GF0WW
by Barb Mills
(Cedar Hill, TX, USA)
I purchased the GE Front Loader dryer with the matching front loader washer in 2006. It is a wonderful dryer with Sensory Dry Levels that automatically synchronizes with the washer. In other words, depending on how long the clothes are left in the washer or how damp they are when you place them in the dryer, the dryer will determine the Sensory Dry Level needed to dry the clothes.
The dryer has 10 different sensory dry levels to choose from: Cottons, Mixed Load, Easy Care, Active Wear, Speed Dry, Delicates, Warm Up, Dewrinkle, Air Fluff and Timed Dry. If you use one of the dry levels that match from washing the same load, other than Speed Dry, Air Fluff and Timed Dry, your clothes will wrinkle less depending on how long they are left in the dryer when the cycle is finished.
There are also four Sensory Dry Levels: More Dry, Dry, Less Dry and Damp. Again this will synchronize with the washer and select it automatically or you can manually set it. I usually leave it on the one that it automatically sets.
There are five Dry Temperatures to choose from: Anti-Bacterial, High, Medium, Low and Extra Low. We use anti-bacterial when we wash sheets and towels and it is a high heat as well. Iâ€™m not sure itâ€™s really a useful item but I use it nonetheless. The Air Fluff cycle is used when you need to dry shoes or dry an item flat with one of the racks that came with the dryer. This cycle will not tumble. You can choose the Dry Temperature of your choice with this cycle.
1. The dryer has a reminder message â€œChange Lint Filterâ€ that lights up in red every time you put in a new load. Itâ€™s nice to have that reminder but it seems that my husband pays little or no attention to that reminder.
2. If you dry large items, you can select Extended Tumble so you don't have to check on it often.
3. If your items are extra damp, you can select Damp Alert and it will tumble longer as needed.
4. The Signal Control can be set to four levels: high, medium, low and off.
5. When the cycle is done, it has a Cool Down feature that runs about two minutes and has an indicator that reads COOL DOWN "cd".
6. I think the best feature of all is Delay Start. I use this when I need to run errands and don't want my clothes wrinkling should I not return for a couple of hours. You can delay up to 12 hours, however, I do not delay that long and I am not sure who would either. This feature is on the washer and I have used the 12-hour delay frequently.
The only con with this dryer is that lint seems to fill in between the front wall of the dryer under the lint filter. I have to fish it out of try to suck it out with the vaccuum but only once every three months. I do it more for peace of mind.
Other than that one con, the dryer is very good and I would recommend it as well. I would rate it at 4 1/2 stars.